The Elysburg Fire Company No. 1 is one of the oldest community oriented organization still in existence in Ralpho Township.
It was early in the Twentieth Century that a group of men banded together to protect against the common threat of fire. These men purchased a pumper cart that could be pulled by hand or by horse and the water was supplied by bucket brigade people.
In 1917 a state of the art motorized Model T Pumper was purchased and stored in Walter Snyder's garage, as he was then the Fire Chief. The Model T was replaced in 1942 and sold to Calvin Reeder sometime in the mid 1940’s. It was used at "Reeders Fire Company" for some time before being placed in a barn on William Reeders (son of Calvin) farm. The Model T was last publicly seen in the 1976 Bi-Centennial parade.
The Elysburg Fire Company is extremely grateful to Arlene Reeder (Mrs. William Reeder) and her family for allowing us to bring home a very historic piece of our fire company's history.
The purchase of this historical fire engine has been made through a generous donation from the Yenawine Estate. Additionally in 1976, generous benefactors donated the bell from the Model T back to the Fire Company.
Special request is being made for anyone who may have old photos with this fire engine during its years of service are asked to contact the Elysburg Fire Department at 672-2920.
Our Model T Project
Website designed at Verizon Websites powered by Homestead