The Elysburg Fire Department is probably the oldest community oriented organization still in existence. It was early in the Twentieth Century that a group of men banded together to protect against the common evil of fire. These men purchased a pumper cart that could be pulled by hand or by horse -- water, to be supplied by bucket brigade people. In 1917 a motorized Model T Pumper was purchased and stored in Walter Snyder's garage, as he was then the Fire Chief. Once privetly owned this important piece of our heritage has returned "home" and is now once again owned by the Elysburg Fire Department. Currently in the refurbishment process, the Model T is approximately 40 percent finished.
In 1919 the Elysburg fire Co. No. 1 became a chartered organization. The original incorporators were: Harry Fahringer, W.C. Burns, G.K. Knepka, Thomas M. Reed, J.R. Lynn, Simon Vought, G.F. Herb, H.C. Kase and Preston Crowl. Officers were Harry Fahringer - President, W.C. Burns - Vice President, G. Knepka - Secretary and Simon Vought - Treasurer. The charter was notarized on June 2, 1919 by Virginia Vought and approved on July 14, 1919 by Judge Fred Moser, Judge of Courts of Northumberland County.
In 1934 the Knoebel family donated land and a new firehouse was constructed on West Mill Street. The building had room for two trucks, meeting rooms and a kitchen in the rear. For thirty years this structure was a veritable community center. In the fall of 1966 funds were solicited for a new firehouse. Construction began in 1967 on North Market Street. It was approximately the geographical center of Elysburg. An addition was added in 1969 which then functioned as a meeting / social room.
Most recently the Department has moved to it's current location at 1 East Mill Street in 1982.
In 1965 the company received a generous donation and was able to buy their first ambulance, a 1952 Cadillac. It needed extensive repairs and was traded on for a 1955 model. Though still a volunteer organization, the Elysburg Fire Department has supplimented it's Emergency Medical Services with career staffing to accomadate the growing need for basic and advanced life support emergencies.